My weekly pick today will have several items, as this post is dedicated for those of you going back to school and living it up, dorm style. I’ve never lived in a dorm because I lived so close to university in the first place. But I did visit the dorms a lot, and I must say…yikes. Today I thought I’d put out some tips to spruce up your living quarters, while living on a budget.
First of all, it is always important to make sure you know of the rules for the do’s and dont’s of your dorm room. Here are some questions one can ask: Can I paint my room? Can I hang some pictures? Put up my own curtains? etc. Even though dorms are equipped with a standard bed and a desk, there is no reason you can’t make it your own. Here we go.
1. If you can, paint! Starting from around $30, paint is one the easiest and cheapest way to change the look of your room. Remember, most dorm rooms are small, so don’t paint it too dark of a colour or else you’ll make the room smaller. Remember, you will probably have to paint it back to its original colour when you leave at the end of the year. Click here to view my previous post on making spaces look bigger!
2. Duvet and accent pillows. Make your home away from home as comfortable as possible. If the walls are white, my advice would be to have a solid colour duvet, and cover your bed with fun and colourful accent pillows to bring colour in. Pillows start at $30.
4.Lamps! Don’t rely on the overhead light at night time. because sometimes they’re just not powerful enough. Here’s a good table lamp that you can’t go wrong with.
This Tral lamp is cute, flexible, and at a good price of $29.99, from Ikea.
5. Storage boxes. So that your papers arent covering every inch of your desk.
Available in all colours and sizes, starting at $4.99 at Ikea.
6. Tack boards. To save on a few dollars, make one yourself by covering an old tackboard with a bright and cheerful new fabric. I always like it too, to have a nice ribbon grid over it to stick pictures into.
7. If you can’t change the not-so-attractive blinds, add another layer of fun curtains right in front. Sheers are pretty and inexpensive, and would be perfect for the job. Or, if there is too much light coming in, get darker or black-out blinds. (If option b is chosen, get an alarm clock. So you don’t miss class. It is very tempting.)
My kind of curtain starts at $29.99 from Ikea.
8. Lastly…wall decor! Whether it’s art work, posters or collages of your friends, put up some wall art to make you feel more at home. Have a good year!